- Use fresh and ripened tomatoes and wash them very well.
- Drop the tomatoes into the boiling water.Cook until you see the skin starting to wrinkle and separate (45 to 60 seconds). then remove the tomatoes and put them into the ice water.
- Once it is cool, transfer it into bowl and remove the skin of the tomatoes.
- Pulse the tomatoes in the food processor. Pulse a few times for a chunkier sauce, or process until smooth for a pureed sauce.
- Transfer the sauce into a stock pot.
- Bring the tomato sauce to a simmer over medium heat.Continue simmering for 30 to 90 minutes, stirring often, until the sauce reaches the taste and consistency that you prefer.
- When finished cooking, stir in lemon juice or vinegar and salt. A quarter cup is necessary to ensure a safe level of acidity for canning.
- Let the sauce cool well and then transfer it into sterilized cans and refrigerate and store. This will last for a period of almost one year.
Image courtesy: Mirella.