Empanadas (karijalu/Karjikayi) are stuffed pastries,which can be baked or deep fried.
Ingredients ( for preparing the dough)
- All purpose flour- 1 cup
Rava – 1/4 cup
Rice flour – 1 tsp
Hot ghee or oil – 1 tbsp
Milk – 1/4 cup
Salt – A pinch
- Mix all the flours ,milk and the salt very well by using your hands in a bowl
- Then add the the ghee to it and mix well until a clumpy dough forms.
- Make it into a ball like shape using your hands and then spread it in the form of a thin sheet and cut it into a round disc shape ( like how we prepare puri’s- use a round shaped vessel for this)
Dry Coconut / kopra- 1/2 cup ; grated
Roasted gram dal / Chutney dal – little less than 1/2 cup
Sugar – 1/2 cup or little more ( based on your sweet level)
Poppy seeds / khus khus- 1 tbsp
Cardamom / 3
Finely chopped Dry fruits – optional
- Oil – as required (for frying)
- In a mixer, grind together the fried gram, sugar and Cardamom (as coarse powder). Add this powder to the grated dry coconut.
- Dry roast poppy seeds such that they are aromatic . Add this to the filling mix. you can add finely chopped nuts too if needed. Mix all the ingredients well
- Fill the prepared Empanada dough with the filling and seal the edges of the Empanada, using the tines of the fork,press on the edges of the Empanada to make straight line marks.
- Heat oil in a pan and Place one or two pieces into the pan at a time. Cook for about 5 minutes, turning once to brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels, and serve hot.