- 1 cup Plain Flour (150gms)
- 1¼ cup water
- 1 medium size egg
- Salt to taste
For the filling
- Eastern Malabari Kozhi curry Masala or Eastern Chicken Masala- 1 cup
For Meat Masala
- Minced meat – 900 gm
- 4 cups (3½ medium sized) Onion, thinly sliced and then chopped
- 2 ½ ” – 3″- Ginger, grated
- 10 -12 Cloves of garlic, grated
- 8-10 Crushed Green chilli
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp + ½ tsp Pepper powder
- ¼ + ¼ tsp Eastern garam masala
- Salt – as reqd.
- 3-4 tbs- Oil
- 1 tsp – Lime juice
- ½ – ¾ cup (loosely packed)- chopped coriander leaves
- 10 mint leaves chopped
- 1-2 Eggwhites
- Breadcrumbs- As required
- Vegetable oil- To deep fry the spring rolls.
- Pancake preparation:
- To make the batter, mix all the ingredients well in a large bowl using a balloon whisk or blend them in a blender until everything is blended without lumps. Heat a small frying pan onto medium heat; pour ½ a ladle of batter to form circles of 5” diameter. Just cook the pancake on one side ONLY and take them out.(The pancake will be cooked on both sides this way).Place them in a plate rubbed with oil. Place a heaped teaspoon of the masala on the uncooked side as shown in the picture. Place it in the top part from middle, an inch away from the sides. Fold both sides to enclose the filling in and then roll it completely to seal the filling in. When you fill one spring roll, you can start making the next one.
- Dip the roll in lightly beaten egg whites and then roll it in breadcrumbs until fully coated. Heat a frying pan filled halfway with oil. Fry these rolls in the oil until golden and crisp.
- Serve whilst warm with ketchup, chilli sauce, sweet chilli sauce, chilli garlic sauce etc.
- Meat Masala preparation:
- In a sauce pan, add 2 tbsp oil and add minced chicken. Add 1 tsp pepper powder,1/4 tsp turmeric powder,¼ tsp Eastern garam masala and enough salt. Cook until the meat is tender and all water has dried up completely. (If using Minced lamb or beef. add half a cup of water and cook until the water is completely dries and meat is well cooked)
- Slice the onion and chop them into even smaller size. Grate ginger, garlic and Green chillies. In a large non-stick sauce pan or frying pan add oil and set the heat to medium-high. Add the onion, grated ginger, garlic, green chillies and salt and sauté until onion becomes just translucent i.e. they have become soft and started turning pale. Don’t brown them. If you see any moisture in the onions at this stage, just turn up the heat, and dry them out. Once the water has completely dried up,add ½ tsp of pepper powder and ¼ tsp of turmeric powder and sauté for few more seconds.
- Add cooked minced meat and lime juice to this; mix well and simmer for about 5- 10 minutes on medium flame by covering with the lid. Add chopped coriander, mint leaves (if adding) and rest of the garam masala to this and stir well and cook for further couple of minutes until the leaves are wilted. Use as a filling for any snacks.
You can also add whole garlic cloves, ginger and chillies all together and process in the processor until well crushed.