Vindaloo is a popular Indian restaurant meal, where it is often made with pork, beef, chicken, lamb, prawns, or vegetables such as mushrooms.Chicken Vindaloo, a popular recipe of Goan-Portuguese fusion cooking… Vindaloo is a hot and spicy dish from the Goa region of India.
1 kg chicken, washed and cut into cubes
2 large onions, sliced, sauteed in a tbsp of oil cool and make into paste
1 tbsp Eastern ginger-garlic paste
1 tsp raw mustard
1 tbsp Eastern coriander powder
1/4 tsp Eastern turmeric pwd
4 tbsps vinegar
(blend the mixture well and keep aside for 15 mts)
salt to taste
2 tbsps sunflower oil
Make a paste: add a few tbsps of water
3/4 tsp roasted methi seeds(fenugreek seeds or menthulu can be used as substitute to methi seeds)
1 tsp roasted cumin seeds or jeera
1 tsp pepper corns
6-7 dry red chillis (slightly roasted)
1 1/2″ cinnamon
- Heat oil in a cooking vessel, add mustard seeds and as they spit, add ginger garlic paste and sauté for about 3 mts.
- Add coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well . Add the chicken pieces and fry until they are vaguely browned. Take away the chicken pieces and keep aside.
- In the same pan drizzle some more oil and fry the onions for 5-10 miinutes until golden. Add ground masala paste and saute for 2 mts. Add the vinegar and jaggery mixture and combine along with the chicken and its marinade and stir-fry for 5 minutes to seal the meat.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of water to browned chicken pieces and Add in the tomatoes, Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove the lid for the last 10 minutes of cooking. Cook till the chicken turns soft and it forms a thick gravy.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in boiling water for 10-15 minutes until tender. Drain.
- Add the potatoes to the cooked vindaloo and serve.